Since Thanksgiving is coming up soon in the States, I am gearing up for the feast. Ever since living back here in the Philippines we do celebrate every year. We just celebrate on a different day (Saturday) since no holidays for the the kids here on the Thanksgiving day Thursday.
I’ve been cooking some food that usually had squash ingredients with it. Trying really some new stuff too on Thanksgiving day. We found this recipe on the net for cookies and been cooking for a few years now with this recipe. The main ingredients was the pumpkin. Well since we don’t have pumpkin here in Philippines I substituted it with squash. Some stores carry nowadays but it’s not often though. Quite honestly, I can’t even tell the difference between the two. It just taste like pumpkin to me. Everybody in the house loves the squash cookies. Really yummy.
Squash – Pumpkin Cookie Recipe:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ white sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 cup homemade squash puree
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease or brush with butter the baking sheets
- Combine the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Beat sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl until well combined. Beat the squashed, egg and vanilla until smooth. Slowly beat in the flour mixture.
- Using tablespoon drop onto the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the edges are firm. Let it cool at the cookie sheets for 2-3 minutes. Then transfer to the wire racks to cool completely.
- Drizzle with the glaze.
***For Glaze: ( Combine 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons milk, 1 tablespoon melted butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a bowl until combined and smooth). ***