The recipe that I’m sharing here right now, it all started when I saw at the FB wall of our friend Brent Finger. When I saw the pictures, it’s just a mouth watering recipe. Bob saw it too and he told me that “Hon, can you make that recipe, we should try it, it really looks delicious”. Lol. We did try it and it’s really a yummy recipe. You will not be embarrass to recommend to your friends. 🙂
Next time that I will cook this recipe, I will try to make it with ground chicken and I will also try to double the layer of the onions to wrap the meatballs.
***If you want to try other meatball recipe that you want to try to put inside the onions. Try to make it and feel free to post here too of the results. Have fun cooking!***
Here’s the recipe: (I made some changes with the original recipe that was posted)
- 1 kilo ground beef (can be ground pork or ground chicken or you can mix them)
- 1 cup bread crumbs ( I add more if the meat mixture tends to be too moist)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 BBQ sauce (homemade or store bought bbq sauce)
- 2 teaspoon salt or more
- 2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 medium onions (cut into cubes)
- yellow onions – medium to large (large in the PI can be medium somewhere)
- 400 grams package of bacon (we used Virginia brand here in the PI)
- More BBQ sauce to brush the outside of the bacon stuffed onion wrapped
Procedures: (Preheat oven to 425 °F)
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients (ground meat, bread crumbs, egg, milk, bbq sauce, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and cube onions)and mix it thoroughly. Use your hands to mix it. Eyeball the wetness of the meatball mix.
- Prepare your onions: Cut the top and bottom of the onion, peel the skin, cut the sides of the onion from top to bottom. Separate the onions into layers. Use the outside layer or all of the layers from the first layer down to the smaller one.
- Start stuffing the onions with your meatball mix between two onion layers (it’s round like a size of a baseball).
- Wrap each ball with 2-3 slices of bacon and secure it with toothpicks.
- Bake in a baking dish with sides (to catch grease) or bake in a cookie sheets with wire rack.
- Bake the meatballs for 425 °F/220°C for approx 40 minutes or until internal temperature reach 165°C.
- Brush or dip the meatballs with the BBQ sauce and bake again for an additional 10-15 minutes!